Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. How Can EASY IMEX Help Me?
EASY IMEX is one of the few “one-stop” import shops around. You get a genuine start to finish solution with all the tools you need to get the job done. From sourcing product, to quality control, to shipping and customs. It’s all done for you.
We make your importing experience trouble free. As our name suggests – we make importing from China easy!
- 2. How Does Your Service Work?
In a nutshell we manage everything you need to get the job done. This includes:
- Sourcing the product
- Comparing manufacturers
- Negotiating price and quantity
- Providing an accurate product quote
- Arranging contracts and purchasing with the manufacturer
- Quality control (more information on question 12)
- Shipping, port charges & insurance
- Customs clearances right to your door
Our services are designed to eliminate any risk over the entire import process.
- 3. Do I Need An Import Licence Or To Be Registered For Tax?
No you don’t. This is a common misconception about importing. If you’re NOT registered for tax: VAT (in the UK) & GST (in Australia) you would normally have to apply for a temporary number ‘turn number’.
However if you’re importing with EASY IMEX you don’t even need to do that! We’ve got you covered
Certain products do require specific import permits. And these need to be applied for. However if you’re a member of EASY IMEX this is all done for you. It’s one more thing YOU don’t need to worry about!
You can focus on running your business – not time consuming paperwork.
- 4. What’s The Minimum Order Quantity? Do I Have To Order A Full Container?
No you don’t have to order a full container. Minimum order quantities vary depending on the product and the manufacturer of the product.
Often manufacturers only want to sell a full container load – because organising a smaller shipment isn’t financially viable.
However EASY IMEX members can use our mixed container service. This allows manufacturers to sell in much smaller quantities than they otherwise would. Not only can you buy smaller quantities but you’ll save 30-60% on shipping by using our mixed container service.
Generally speaking manufacturers are happy to let us order any quantity over $5,000 USD of combined product.
- 5. Why Do You Charge For Memberships?
If you want to import and ‘get it right’ there’s much ground work to complete before an order is placed. Here’s some things our account managers have to organise before providing a quote:
- Sourcing The Right Product – this means choosing from the huge array of potential suppliers, assessing the honest, reliable manufacturers and filtering unreliable or outright fraudulent suppliers.
- Price vs Quality – Many suppliers offer exceptionally cheap prices. What you won’t discover – until too late – is they’ve sacrificed the quality. Given our experience with a wide range of products – we’re highly attuned to games the manufacturers can play.
- Negotiating Price – In China virtually everything is negotiable. Never accept the first price a factory provides. You can usually get a better deal, particularly if you know their costs. Comparing several suppliers will help indicate a fair price.
- Specifications and Quantities. Getting the exact specifications for your product is very important. Manufacturers have been known to make costly mistakes simply because they weren’t given highly specific specifications.
- Landed Quotes. This includes calculating freight costs, the weight of goods in containers, how many goods can fit into a container etc
- Fluctuations in Exchange Rates & material prices all need to be addressed in detail before an order is placed.
- In order to continue the high level of service to our existing members we cannot deal with every possible enquiry.
- Over the long term it’s a small price to pay to have your interests handled by import professionals in China.
- Ultimately it’s this ground work which can make the difference between success and failure. In the long run, we believe you’ll find our services great value for money!
- 6. Why Can’t I See Product Prices On Your Website?
For two main reasons...
- Prices Change Too Quickly
- Each Order Is Unique
There are many ‘variables’ we need to confirm unique to each order. These variables change on a daily basis. Please refer to the question five for more detail on the variables.
Unless you’re familiar with EVERY one of these costs – the price of a product in China means very little.
Ultimately it’s the ‘landed price’ which matters (the unit price of a product delivered to your door).
- 7. Can You Give Me An Example Of Prices?
This is a common question we’re asked. However, it’s truly a case of ‘how long is a piece of string?
Even products we deal with regularly change price rapidly. Exchange rates, material (oil, metal) prices and of course the quantity you are buying all effect prices.
Each time we attain quotes for members – we’ll have to speak with several manufactures and negotiate with them. This is before we have worked out the import charges. Or even looked at your detailed product specifications.
Therefore providing an accurate quote requires a significant amount of work for our account managers. And we save this for members.
- 8. How Is Payment Made For My Goods?
When you order goods with EASY IMEX you will receive two invoices.
- The first is for the cost of goods in China. This invoice is to be paid to EASY IMEX LTD Hong Kong. You can pay by bank transfer.
- Once your goods arrive in either Australia or the UK you will be invoiced by either our UK company EASY IMEX LTD (UK) for the shipping, handling, VAT and duty costs. Or if in Australia by EASY IMEX PTY LTD for the shipping, handling, GST and duty charges.
- 9. How Do I Know To Trust You?
This is a very important question. EASY IMEX is registered in the UK, China, Hong Kong and Australia. In each country there are different government bodies you verify us with. And verify how long we’ve been trading.
If you’re in the UK go to the Companies House Website:
If you’re in Australia you can check us out with ASIC (Australian Securities & Investments Commission)
In Honk Kong go to the Companies Registry Website:
Please read our Testimonials page to hear what our customers have to say.
We’ll also provide references from our many customers – both businesses and individuals – all of whom have been using EASY IMEX for many years.
- 10. I’ve Already Found A Supplier In China… How Can You Help Me From Here?
Many people join EASY IMEX when they get to this point. It’s one thing to find a supplier on a website. It’s another to send off thousands of dollars to an unknown entity in China. And this is when many people come unstuck.
If you’ve already found a potential supplier EASY IMEX can take over and look after your needs from there.
We can verify the supplier is legitimate. Arrange the order. Take over negotiations. Or find alternative suppliers for you to make comparisons with.
EASY IMEX will do whatever is needed to ensure your order happens quickly and safely.
Many customers love someone else filling out all the time-consuming, tedious paperwork. Someone else to do the quality control testing and organise the insurance, tax, customs & shipping.
- 11. How Long Does It Take To Receive Goods From China?
Once you’ve placed an order, roughly 8-10 weeks. However, the time frame from placing your order to receiving your goods can vary. Here’s a rough guide to help you.
Typically an order will take approximately 2-3 weeks to manufacture. Then a further 2-3 weeks shipping in Australia. Or 4 weeks if you’re in UK or Europe.
Finally allow another 2-3 weeks for customs clearance and delivery in each country.
All up, allow approx 8-10 weeks for Australian orders. And 9-12 weeks if in the UK, USA or Europe.
- 12. How Can We Be Confident About The Quality Of Goods?
There’s a few ways you can be confident you’ll get the right type of goods you requested.
EASY IMEX carries out quality control on every good we export. There’s three levels of quality control. And what YOU need varies according to your particular product. As a general rule the more technically complex your product – the greater the level of quality control you will need. It also depends on the value of your order. It makes sense to spend more on testing the quality of a $50,000 order than a $1,000 order.
The Three Levels Of Quality ControlPlease go to our quality control page to review the different levels of quality control.
Quality Control Before You Place An Order
Finally, it’s very important to write detailed product specifications into your contract with the factory. This means working closely with your account manager and being very specific in your product specifications – prior to placing your order.
Chinese suppliers have been known to put European plugs on Australian electrical goods! Or make blue bags with green straps (instead of blue). If you didn’t specify this in the contract, the Chinese factory will think they’ve done nothing wrong and see this as being your mistake.
Having all your specifications prior to making your order eliminates these problems.
- 13. What About Import Duty, Tax & Customs Clearance?
When your goods arrive you will be invoiced for any relevant shipping freight, handling, tax and duty charges.
Under normal circumstances there will be shipping, handling and tax to pay (GST for Australian’s or VAT for Brits). Duty rates vary from one product to the next. Many times a product may be duty exempt so there would be nothing to pay, however on average duty is around 5% on most products.
- 14. I Already Import From China… How Can EASY IMEX Help Me?
EASY IMEX works with many experienced importers and there’s many reasons why they use our service.
Firstly, sourcing, negotiating price, confirming product specifications and options can be a time consuming process. Many people would prefer someone trusted to take care of this for them. This frees up time to focus on running their business.
Secondly they know using EASY IMEX is an extension of their own business. There is NO substitute for having someone, on the ground, in China looking after their needs and interests.
Factories do make mistakes. They will try to cover them up or get away with sending sub-standard products.
With EASY IMEX managing your quality control needs you’ll not only save time – but as we’ve seen time and again – will save thousands of dollars by ensuring members get exactly what they ordered!
- 15. We’re Planning On Coming To China – Can EASY IMEX Help Us While We’re Over There?
Yes! EASY IMEX offers a complete factory tour service to members, including everything you need to get the most out of your business trip to China.
Please go to: Factory Tours
- 16. I’m Attending a Trade Show In China – Can EASY IMEX Assist Me?
Yes! There are many trade shows in China. The biggest is called the Canton Fair. Simply let us know which trade show you wish to go to and we’ll happily arrange an experienced staff member to take care of your needs whilst in China. For more information have a look at our factory tours service.
- 17. Can I Have My Own Brand Name Put Onto My Product?
Generally speaking yes. However this depends on the factory, the quantity you’re ordering and exactly how you wish to brand your product.
Basic branding of your product – stickers and package printing with your name/logo – is a service normally offered for a very small fee (and sometimes for FREE
Other types of branding could mean new moulds need making in order to manufacture the product. This can be more expensive. There are many ways *OEM branding can be done.
So speak with us when you’re placing your order and we’ll be happy to give you a range of options and costs subject to your requirements.
* OEM Branding: (Original Equipment Manufacturer). Please see link below for further information
- 18. How Much Can We Save Importing With EASY IMEX?
Firstly there’s the price savings. If you’re sourcing from local wholesalers – it’s not uncommon to save 30-80% when importing direct. In fact, for some products – the savings have been greater.
There’s also savings on shipping – we always get the best shipping prices in the industry. And if you’re importing less than a container load the EASY IMEX mixed container load service will save you 30-60%.
- 19. What Are The Risks?
The Risk Of Not Getting Your Goods
There are “spoof manufacturers” out there. These scammers pretend to be a manufacturer or trading company – then take your money and run. Perhaps you’ve heard horror stories? EASY IMEX can guarantee this will not happen to you. Our verification process completely eliminates this risk and we’re glad to say it’s something which has never happened to an EASY IMEX member.
The Risk Of Loss Or Damage In Transit
Containers do fall off ships. Fires can happen. More common problems include damage because of rough seas, or containers being dropped on the wharf. If this did happen to you – you’re protected automatically as each EASY IMEX member is insuring against such situations.
The Risk Of Your Goods not Being Up To Scratch
As a member of EASY IMEX the only risk is ensuring your product specifications are highly detailed and very specific! This allows us to avoid unnecessary disagreements with the factory, if goods aren’t exactly as you expected.
If you don’t inform the factory of each product specification – you might not get everything you want. You’ll need to work closely with your account manager here.
While this is the greatest risk, it’s easily handled once you’re aware how important it is to be very specific about your product specifications.
- 20. What Does EASY IMEX Charge For Its Services?
We charge an initial membership fee of $499 USD. We also charge a commission per order of 5% - 7%.
All logistics, freight, port, handling charges are billed to you at cost and we ensure that we get the cheapest rates in the industry making our service even more value for money!
- 21. Do I Need To Arrange Insurance For My Goods?
No, as a member of EASY IMEX we'll arrange all your insurance. It’s one less job for you!
- 22. What Else Do I Need To Do Before Placing My Final Order?
Before you’ve confirmed and placed your order with us it’s very important to ‘dot the ‘I’s’ and cross the ‘t’s’.
You must make sure any specific product requirements i.e. colour, packaging, technical details are given to us at this point.
Once you’ve given the final specifications we’ll go and do all the hard work so you can get on with running your business!
- 23. Can EASY IMEX Help With Warehousing & Distribution of My Goods?
Yes! EASY IMEX works with a network of freight & logistics businesses all around the world. If you have specific warehousing need tell us your problem and we’ll find a solution!
- 24. What Happens When My Goods Arrive?
If importing a full container: when your container arrives, has cleared customs and you’ve paid all the charges – you’ll receive a call to arrange a time for you to take delivery.
When the container arrives at your premises you’ll be responsible to unpack the container.
If you’re importing a smaller volume of goods: your order will arrive in our mixed container service. The container will go to a central warehouse to be unpacked.
Once the relevant import charges have been paid we’ll arrange delivery to your door. Or provide you with a reference number so you can collect your goods from the warehouse.
- 25. What Are The Warranties on Products? What If I Need To Return a Product?
Warranties offered need to be negotiated on an order by order basis. Because this will vary from one factory to another.
Generally speaking factories offer a small percentage of spare parts – for free – to cover any breakages or faults.
Many manufactures will also offer a 6 month spare parts warranty. Here’s how it works. Once your order arrives, if you report any faults the factory will ship over the replacement parts or complete unit to compensate for this.
Why do factories offer these spare part warranties? Because in most cases, sending items back to China and then from China back to you (halfway round the world that is) is not a cost effective solution.
- 26. I Haven’t Started My Business Yet… Is It The Right Time To Import?
In 2008/2009 we first saw rocketing inflation and material prices. Followed by the financial crisis which saw the AUD and GBP drop almost 40% against the USD (and Chinese currency) in a very short amount of time. This effectively meant Chinese products became 40% more expensive!
The financial crisis lead to the biggest global recession in recent history. Yet, despite this in 2009 EASY IMEX doubled its turnover, number of staff and profit. The reason for this is simple: the vast majority of our customers thrived!
Importing from China is highly profitable – even in the worst of times. So our attitude is this: if people can start a profitable business in the middle of a recession there’s never a bad time to start importing from China!
- 27. What Do I Need To Start Importing?
A small amount of capital, $5,000 USD and the desire to build a long term business! We’ll hold your hand the entire way. Note: You don’t need any licences to begin importing.
- 28. I Want To Be The Sole Importer Of A Product… Is This Something EASY IMEX Can Arrange?
Over the years EASY IMEX has arranged many sole importer agreements with manufacturers. Sole importer rights can be excellent for both the importer and the manufacturer.
By having only one importer per country – of a specific product – the manufacturer can control the market for that product. Ensuring the supply is not more than the demand.
In the long term this means more stability of orders for the manufacturer. And more importantly for you it means no direct competition from other importers/sellers selling the same product. Which means higher profit margins!
- 29. Can I Get Samples Before I Place An Order?
Yes, we often arrange samples before orders are placed. In many cases we can airmail these for a small fee.
- 30. Are There Any Hidden Fees? If So What Are They?
We don’t have any hidden fees. Before you place an order we’ll provide you with a landed quote. This shows all the charges of your order landed in your country. No nasty surprises.
- 31. I Want to Import Sony and Apple Products? Is This Possible?
Sorry, it isn’t. We don’t deal with large brand name products.
While major brands such as Sony & Apple manufacture their products in China – they also have their own distribution network. This means the only way to purchase their products in any wholesale quantities is to become an official re-seller of their products.
- 32. I’ve Already Contacted a Factory. Can You Negotiate a Better Price?
Yes, in our experience we usually can. Because we understand the cost of manufacturing, export tax back policies – we’re equipped with the experience and information to make a sound price estimate. We’re also negotiating regularly with factories – so our experience makes it easier for us to negotiate a better price.
- 33. I’ve Got a Small Order In China Ready To Ship. What Are the Advantages Of Using EASY IMEX?
If you’re importing anything less than a full container then EASY IMEX is your cheapest possible option! Using our mixed container service we guarantee to import your goods cheaper than any other shipping company! We’ll refund your membership if you find a cheaper way.
- 34. We’re Going to Order a Container Load of Goods From China. What Price Can EASY IMEX Give Us For Shipping?
Shipping prices (freight) and port charges, transport, fuel costs etc change on a daily basis. However the EASY IMEX guarantee is that our logistical charges will be the cheapest in the industry! Please contact us for an up to date quote.
- 35. What Products Can You Source?
Almost anything! This question is easier to answer by asking what can’t you import? Brand named products – in general – cannot be imported. Obviously any products which aren’t legally allowed in your country. However, if it’s made in China EASY IMEX can source and import it for you!
- 36. How Are My Goods Delivered? What Are The options?
You have two options. Have the goods shipped to your warehouse or front door. Or you can pick them up from a specific warehouse in your city. Please note: if you are not in a city with a port, we’ll need to freight your goods inland. This is easily arranged.
- 37. Do I Have To Collect My Goods From the Port?
No, to enter a port you usually need a specific licence. So we have to collect your goods from the port and either deliver direct to you, or to a local warehouse where you can then collect the goods from.
- 38. What Makes You Unique?
There’s several things unique about EASY IMEX:
- EASY IMEX is one of the few “one-stop” import shops around. You get a genuine start to finish solution with all the tools you need to get the job done. From sourcing product, to quality control, to shipping and customs. It’s all done for you.
- We’re on the ground in China – unlike so many other companies who claim to have an office in China – EASY IMEX actually does. Having a Chinese company manage your needs in China is a decided advantage. You need someone to defend and protect your interests. Someone who can communicate in Chinese to Chinese factories.
- There is nothing out there like our mixed container service. It allows those importing less than a container load to operate at the same price as those who are buying full container loads. This means savings of 30-60%.
- 39. I Have a Product I Want Made in China. How Can EASY IMEX Help?
Once we’ve identified the product we’ll source several suitable manufacturers and obtain varying quotes. We can work out a series of options for you from there.
Some products can be produced from sketches, drawings, pictures or general product descriptions you provide. Other more complex products may require you to provide an actual product sample.
Quite simply, it all depends on what you need. And on what the factory needs to make your product.
But we can say this: Given the huge amount of experienced and capable manufacturers in China – they can pretty much make anything.
- 40. How Do I Protect My Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)?
You protect your IPR rights in much the same way you would in Australia, UK, US, New Zealand, Canada or Ireland. You should ensure you have a patent and trademark in the country or countries where you want to protect your market. Many small companies experience difficulty protecting their IPR abroad, including in China, as they are not aware of how to obtain and enforce rights in foreign markets. Some basic, often low-cost, steps small companies should consider include:
- Working with legal counsel to develop an overall IPR protection strategy;
- Developing detailed IPR language for licensing and subcontracting contracts
In EASY IMEX’s experience, having a good relationship with your supplier is also crucial to the success of enforcing your intellectual property rights.
- 41. Why Import From China?
China is the world’s largest exporting nation – with over $1.1 trillion worth in 2009. Its pretty cliché these days but everyone has heard people say ‘everything’s made in China!’ So, if you want to sell a product and do so with the highest possible profit margin then you HAVE TO import from China!
- 42. How Do I Find Out More?
Our website is full of information covering all of our services. If you have any specific questions please feel free to either call us or email via our site!
- 43. I Still Have More Questions. Is It Possible to Speak With Someone From EASY IMEX First?
Sure, if you would like to talk with someone from EASY IMEX before you sign up, please email us through the “contact us” section on our site (see below). Or you can call us in China on +86 21 3363 2422
- 44. What Membership Type Should I Go For?
Your membership level will be dictated by your budget. If you expect to order $5,000-$10,000 per order, go with the bronze membership. Anything between $10,000 and $20,000 per order go with silver. And for over $20,000 per order go for gold.
Please follow the membership link for more specific details:
- 45. I’m Not Sure What Product to Import. Will EASY IMEX Give Me Any Ideas?
If you’re ready to start making money by importing, but not sure what product to start with don’t worry, EASY IMEX offers regular product suggestions to our members as well as a Hot Products section on our site that is updated monthly!
- 46. I’m Ready to Get Stuck In. What’s the Next Step?
If you’re ready to start making money by importing the next step is to become a member! Once you’re a member we will then appoint you an Account Manager and you can get stuck in sourcing the products you need. Or you can order from our members only list of Hot Products!
We welcome all enquiries so please feel free to contact us if you have any questions. A team member will respond within 24 hours.
Top Ten Tips
Avoid the most common mistakes even experienced importers make.
Become a member
And Start Trading Now
We offers everything you need to get the most out of your China trip!
Do you have a product idea, but not sure how to get started? We can help!